Voluntary Early Retirement Authority (VERA)
This offer applies to employees covered under both the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). When an agency has received VERA approval from OPM, an employee who meets the general eligibility requirements may be eligible to retire early.
Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay (VSIP)
This program is also known as "buyout authority," and allow agencies that are downsizing or restructuring to offer employees lump-sum payments up to $25,000 as an incentive to voluntarily separate. When an agency has received approval from OPM to offer VSIP, any employee (as defined in 5 U.S.C. 2105) who meets these general eligibility requirements may receive an offer.
UPDATE: December 1, 2013 - Indian Affairs is offering a second round of early out and buyout incentives. Applications to participate must be received by February 28, 2014.
Supervisors and managers should ensure that all employees without email access and/or internet access receive a paper copy of the application and eligibility criteria.
Applications will only be accepted using the Indian Affairs VERA/VSIP Online Form. Paper copies will be accepted on a case-by-case basis as determined by your Servicing Personnel Office (SPO). Please contact your designated Human Resources Specialist for additional information. Before you submit your online application, you should get a copy of your most recent SF-50. You can view your SF-50 by using the eOPF website through a secure Internet connection (inside the BIA network or via the VPN connection). (Note: this site is best viewed using Internet Explorer)
VERA temporarily lowers the age and service requirements to allow approved employees to retire early. VSIP allows selected employees to receive an incentive payment of up to $25,000, before taxes, for voluntarily separating.
Once an offer is made, the employee has three days to accept or decline. For this effort, there is a very limited time frame in which offers can be made. This is an important decision. Please take time to review all of the information that will be provided and contact your SPO for more information.
The following Retirement Specialists can be contacted to assist you with questions on retirement, provide retirement estimates and any other benefits questions:
Toni Milmoe – (703) 390-6713, fax (703) 390-6486
Service Area: Office of the Assistant Secretary - Indian Affairs and Office of Justice Services (AS-IA & OJS)
Victoria Chapman – (503) 231- 2045, fax (503) 231-6110
Service Area: Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA)
Audrey Duran – (505) 563-5451, fax (505) 563-5305
Service Area: Bureau of Indian Education (BIE)
VERA Eligibility Requirements
Employees who are interested in taking advantage of the VERA must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Covered by CSRS or FERS;
- Have been on the agency rolls at least 30 days prior to December 1, 2013;
- Are not serving under a time-limited appointment;
- Have not received a notice of involuntarily separation for misconduct or unsatisfactory performance;and
- Retirement date must be on or before February 28, 2014.
VSIP Eligibility Requirements
Employees are not eligible to receive a VSIP/buyout if any of the following apply:
- Reemployed annuitants;
- Eligible for a disability retirement;
- Serving under an appointment with a time limitation;
- Not been employed by the Federal government for three (3) continuous years;
- In receipt of a decision notice of involuntary separation for misconduct or unacceptable performance;
- Previously received a VSIP from a Federal agency;
- Covered by statutory reemployment rights from another organization;
- Received a recruitment or relocation incentive within the 24-month period preceding separation;
- Received a retention incentive within the 12-month period preceding separation;
- Received a student loan repayment benefit during the 36-month period preceding separation; and
- In a position that is not covered by the VSIP or excluded by the agency’s buyout plan.
Information for Employees
VSIP/VERA email notice to employees (PDF)
Positions eligible for VSIP (PDF)
Occupational Series Table (for reference) (PDF)
Frequently Asked Questions – VERA VSIP Indian Affairs (PDF)
Indian Affairs Retirement Services Information for Employees (PDF)
VSIP Estimated Payment Calculator (XLS)
For more information:
Voluntary Early Retirement Authority (VERA)
Voluntary Separation Incentive Payments (VSIP)
OPM Guide to Voluntary Early Retirement Regulation
OPM Guide to Voluntary Separation Incentive Payments
FAQs about Retirement Benefits
Employee’s Guide to Buyouts
Employee VERA VSIP Information, VSIP Calculator and POCs 3-5-13